[squeak-dev] Squeak screencasts

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 18:27:37 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 8:10 PM, K. K. Subramaniam <subbukk at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Friday 20 November 2009 11:14:34 pm Eliot Miranda wrote:
> > > Many steps in Squeak are simple to the point of being incredible. But
> the
> > > path
> > > to simplicity is complex. Documentation/ site could help by indexing
> > > beginner
> > > (Developer) videos/screencasts at the top level.
> > >
> > > Subbu
> >
> > I can not disagree more.  Which do you prefer, this?
> >
> > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2119529,00.asp
> >
> > or this?
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9r1UAVq9AU
> Eliot,
>
> I never suggested replacing linear docs with visual docs. They are not
> exclusive. My suggestion was to start including short screencasts in
> Documentation/ page (even if it is a link to the vimeo page). Screencasts
> take
> much less effort to produce and distribute these days than linear docs so
> the
> trend is only likely to accelerate in the coming years.

OK.  Agreed.  I should stop beating a dead horse but I'm not against visual
documentation either.  The examples I posted were both visual.  One used
text interspersed with pictures.  One used video augmented with a bad rock
intro, and a HAL like voice over.  I know which one I prefer, which one I
can index and which one is cheaper to edit.  But I agree, augmenting intro
doc with short videos showing screen interaction can be nice as
encouragement to newbies.  As long as no one expects someone to sit through
a 15 minute video tutorial in which any embedded text is inaccessible, etc,
etc.