[squeak-dev] My own Squeak direction

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 00:47:37 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>
>  I also am going to make an attempt over the winter break to
>> rebase Cobalt atop Pharo. The short-term goal of this is to have
>> support for Alien FFI; long term goals are:
>>

> AFAIK only the mac vm supports Alien.

More correctly, Alien fully supports only IA32.  The data manipulation part
of Alien is cross-platform.  Call-out and call-back support only exists for
IA32, although callback support is pretty easy to provide for all platforms.
 Michael Haupt is looking at extracting the cross-platform part, so that
should be available generally.  I'm looking at integrating Alien marshaling
with the FFI and at supporting Alien style callbacks.  In any case it is not
a lot of work to get this stuff done.