[squeak-dev] Mercedes Sosa

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Oct 13 16:46:53 UTC 2009

Hi Tansel,

tansel at squeakonline.com wrote:
> Hi Juan (and all Argentinean friends),
>
> I am a great fan of Mercedes Sosa. I was lucky enough to see her live
> in concert and know no recording device could do justice to her
> magnificent voice.

Great! You're right...

> When Luciano Notarfrancesco was coming to NY he asked me if I wanted
> anything from Argentina I asked him if he could bring a couple of her
> cds which were hard to find then. I still treasure them to this date.
> (BTW I haven't heard from him and many other Argentinean Squeakers for
> a while, hope they are well).

I haven't had news from Luciano for quite some time. I see most other
Argentinian Squeakers you might know from time to time. From Nov 19 to
Nov 21 we're having Smalltalks 2009, the third Argenitinan conference on
Smalltalk. The first two were great and I'm sure this will be great too.
Most Squeakers in Argentina will be there, and several folks from other
parts of the world will come too. All Squeakers are invited to attend,
and to give talks too!

> I salute Argentina for her great artists and also for great programmers.

Thanks for your kind words, Tansel.

I want to tell about SqueakNews to anybody who isn't aware of it.
SqueakNews was a project lead by Tansel several years ago. It was the
first electronic magazine ever, and it was fully devoted to Squeak. A
lot of great content and wonderful interviews to members of the
SqueakCentral team. All the issues are freely available now.

It was thanks to a great interview with John Maloney, and his
description of the handling of coordinates in Morphic that my Morphic 3
project got started. Thanks for that, and for a great time enjoying
SqueakNews!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich