[squeak-dev] Squeak for Email

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 19:21:22 UTC 2009

2009/10/23 Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com>:
> Ronald Spengler wrote:
>
>> Which makes me wonder: does anyone here read the list from within a
>> squeak image?
>
> Me, from this 3.9 image. And pressing the "Custom F." button and
> creating a "hasText: 'X-Mailer: Celeste'" filter shows that Göran was
> also doing this until at least April 2008.
>
> Of course, this makes it trivial to deal with commit messages. I just
> point to one and press the "Part F." button to see nothing but commits.
> I can quickly scan them and "move all" to my squeak-dev folder before
> checking out the actual discussions without interruptions. Given that
> not everyone has such nice options (including me when forced to use some
> webmail interface once in a while), I think a daily digest is the best
> compromise for now.
>
> -- Jecel

Again, I think daily digest is the worst solution, who would read that ?
I won't.

Moving the discussion to another list is OK for core programmers, they
will subscribe.
But not only implementation details are discussed here, some features
that might have impact on daily programming also are.

A user who won't subscribe will loose :
- ability to control activity of core developpers,
- ability to participate actively on a specific new feature they want
or want not,
- ability to request maintaining compatibility on a deprecated feature.

That's one goal of trunk if I understood it : raise an interest in
participating in core development, be it by some code input, or by
negative feedback about some changes.
I think it is essential, unless everyone is satisfied with current
state of Squeak.

After all, I don't care, because fortunately there is also Pharo.
Better having two horses than one.
Pharo was the main reason for raising a trunk wasn't it ?

Nicolas