[squeak-dev] GPGPU

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 13:42:18 UTC 2009

Em 28-10-2009 10:49, Stefan Marr escreveu:
> Hi:
>
> On 27 Oct 2009, at 20:46, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto wrote:
>> I'm considering to build a package to allow the development of math
>> using GPUs (NVIDIA).
> Do you have any intention to do something else then math on the GPUs?
> I guess you just want to provide a wrapper for the libraries, e.g.,
> OpenCL, right?
The current idea is to build a package to deal with  floating point
vector processing. So, that's more than creating wrapper libraries. I've
been asked to do so by people intending to work with engineering
applications (can't say more due NDA issues) and thought it useful for
my own purposes (like help building efficient native ANN package).

Before considering this project I was dealing with the Cell Processor
(IBM had an agreement with the lab I used to work for). But after
changes on IBM policy for the Cell processor and after Sony decided to
remove support for installing foreign OSs in PS3 boards it became clear
that working with this platform wouldn't be useful (really a pity).

On the other hand, working with GPUs I have some alternatives. Hardware
is abundant and low priced and support is relatively easy to find.

About SDKs, NVIDIA has the CUDA environment (libraries + SDK). It is not
open software (NVIDIA EULA) and restricts things to NVIDIA. Apple/Kronos
have the OpenCL but afaik tools are currently for Mac OS X. OpenCL is
also not open software (Apple License) but have wider support (NVIDIA/AMD).

> Would it be feasible to run some Smalltalk code on it, maybe in a
> restricted dialect, like Slang?
Currently I don't think so. Available GPU resources are very specific:
they're extremely efficient vector processors with several nice pipelines...

> Best regards
> Stefan

Best regards,

CdAB