[squeak-dev] GPGPU

Josh Gargus josh at schwa.ca
Wed Oct 28 17:24:56 UTC 2009

I agree with Casmiro's response... GPUs aren't suitable for running
Smalltalk code.  Larrabee might be interesting, since it will have 16
or more x86 processors, but it's difficult to see how to utilize the
powerful vector processor attached to each x86.

Your question was more specifically about running something like Slang
on it.  It's important to remember that Slang isn't Smalltalk, it's C
with Smalltalk syntax (i.e. all Slang language constructs are
implemented by a simple 1-1 mapping onto the corresponding C language
feature).  So yes, it would be possible to run something like Slang on
a GPU.  Presumably, you would want to take the integration one step
farther than with Slang, and automatically compile the generated
OpenCL or CUDA code instead of dumping it to an external file.

Instead of thinking of running Smalltalk on the GPU, I would think
about writing a DSL (domain-specific language) for a particular class
of problems that can be solved well on the GPU.  Then I would think
about how to integrate this DSL nicely into Smalltalk.

Sean McDermid has done something like this with C#, LINQ, HLSL, and
Direct3D (http://bling.codeplex.com/).  He's not doing GPGPU per se,
but the point is how seamless is his integration with C#.

Cheers,
Josh