[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Collections-ar.123.mcz

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 11:51:13 UTC 2009

2009/9/1 Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>:

> On 01.09.2009, at 11:37, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
>> 2009/9/1  <commits at source.squeak.org>:
>>>
>>> Andreas Raab uploaded a new version of Collections to project The Trunk:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Collections-ar.123.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: Collections-ar.123
>>> Author: ar
>>> Time: 1 September 2009, 12:38:06 pm
>>> UUID: e7432274-e18a-1e43-a002-f3ab261bd465
>>> Ancestors: Collections-tfel.122
>>>
>>> Some fixes for RWBinaryOrTextStream which was too agressive optimizing
>>> some paths. Also fixes Character>>codePoint: which has no reason to raise an
>>> exception for values > 256.
>>>

>> Don't know about the reason for such a limitation by just reading the
>> diff...
>> However, there was some insurance that a Character of value < 256
>> would be unique.
>> Doesn't this matter?
>
> #value: does this.
>
> - Bert -

Does it mean #codePoint: is a low level (basic) creation message,
private and not to be used except in special circumstances like
creating the CharacterTable, while #value is the public API?

Or does it mean any code using the ANSI protocol #codePoint: wont'
share the uniqueness property of #value:?

The category and comment made me think it was the latter, thus my question.

Nicolas