[squeak-dev] Graphical Application Where to Begin?

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 23:05:52 UTC 2009

2009/8/31 Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org>:
> Hi John,
>
> JohnReed Maffeo wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> It has been awhile since I have written, but I am back trying to continue
>> work on an application that has been on hiatus for awhile.
>>

> Nice to see you around again.
>
>> My current goal is to write a graphical interface to display
>> geo-referenced data in a scrollable/zoomable window. I have written code to
>> read data from a file and use it to create an instance of GraphicSymbol. I
>> can display the object on a form and display the form. Now I want to start
>> building a simple map browser application, but I don't know where to start.
>> From what I understand, there is a lot of Morphic that will/should be
>> deprecated. What can I do to ensure that my design conforms to the
>> appropriate Morphic roadmap?
>>

> There isn't single and clear Morphic roadmap. From the discussions in
> squeak-dev about one or 2 months ago, it seems that most people believe that
> the current Morphic+Etoys API is a central part of Squeak. So, I don't
> expect any major changes there, although there is some progress in using
> ToolBuilder to make tools independent of the UI framework. If the
> Toolbuilder offers what you need, it looks like a good option. Then you have
> the Pharo fork. If you plan to use it, you'd check with them. You can also
> use Cuis, my Squeak fork. In Cuis, Morphic is greatly reduced, making
> everything much easier to understand. Finally, you have my Morphic 3
> project, that would help you do a high-quality zoomeable UI. Unfortunately,
> I've been devoting all my time to Cuis and paid work lately, so I'm not
> working much on Morphic 3 right now.
>
>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The vision is to create a
>> virtual landscape from a combination of elevation data ie a matrix of
>> elevation points and planar features ie various lines that identify roads,
>> rivers, boundaries etc.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John-Reed Maffeo
>
> Oh! May be you need 3D... The I would suggest taking a close look at Croquet
> and Cobalt.

or.. you may take a look at GLMorphic stuff , which you can use to
render 2D + 3D
in same window where you doing everything (squeaking).
or , even you can take a look at my latest thingy - a binding to
OpenVG API, which is only 2D
but its a vector graphics, and should handle maps rendering pretty
well, and what is important - pretty fast .

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.