[squeak-dev] [ANN] OmniBrowser 2.0.3

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Sep 2 07:33:48 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm happy to announce a new release of OmniBrowser. It's been quite a
while since the last official release, and that has force folks that
want to run the current code base to download and install directly
from the Monticello repositories used for development. There have been
a lot of contributors, each pulling in different directions, and it's
been difficult for the various Squeak distributions that use
OmniBrowser to put together a coherent installation. I think moving to
more formal release practices, with explicit version numbers,
supported platforms, release testing and so on will make it a lot
easier to install and use OmniBrowser without having to understand the
ins and outs of the code base and development community.

In putting together this release, I wanted to tighten up and repackage
the existing functionality–b=new features can wait until 2.1.  I've
tried to find the best mix of framework flexibility, browser features,
code quality and performance that I could. This has meant cutting some
features, and probably will mean further simplification and
streamlining in subsequent releases. It'll also mean pulling
OmniBrowser "extensions" into the standard distribution as the become
stable.

This is the third release in the 2.0 series; the first two releases
were "private" releases announced only on the omnibrowser-dev list, to
gain feedback and flush out issues with the distribution format.

Download it from:  http://www.wiresong.ca/static/releases/OmniBrowser-2.0.3.zip

Colin