[squeak-dev] Metacello

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 20:49:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Keith Hodges<keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>> Keith> Sake/Packages is far more likely to be able to achieve this, and
has
>> Keith> already done so.
>>
>> And if it wasn't seen as the choice, it means you need to do a better job
>> promoting and documenting it, not just claiming it's better.
>>
> I do not believe the premise of your statement.
>
> No amount of effort announcing, documenting, and promoting makes any
> difference. I have made considerable efforts on all three over the past
> 3 years whereas in contrast Lukas does no announcing, documenting or
> promoting, yet people use his stuff without a second thought.

Simply not true.  Google Lukas Renggli and you get
   http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/

Click on the Magritte link and you get overview, installation instructions,
links to mailing lists, code repositories, instructions on how to report
errors, a list of publications and a tutorial.
Google Keith Hodges and Bob the Builder and you get

 http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/release/2008-October/000036.html<http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/release/2008-October/000036.html>
which, when I read it, presumes I know an awful lot of context I have no
clue how to create.  There's no overview, there's no pointer to code,
there's no tutorial, no hand-hlding, juts a description of how you go about
things once you understand how the whole thing works.  i.e. far too
demanding for a noob like myself.  I'm simply not smart enough to figure out
how to use your system form that description.

Magritte on the other hand looks like it could be worth some of my ever
shorter in supply time to explore. (As does Pier, Scriptaculous and the rest
of Lucas's thoughtfully presented projects).

> I have attempted to show that the community needs to move forward using
> plans, proposals, and documented developments, yet the chosen path
> appears to be continuous hacking. If you want to understand something
> read the code for yourself; this appears to be a good enough philosophy
> for Avi, Andreas, and Lukas then it should be good enough for me.
>
> basically I don't care anymore

If you really care you'll try and look at the process from an outsiders
perspective and document the system assuming little more than familiarity
with Squeak, and you'll document it on a web site (there are Squeak wikis
you can use that you don't have to pay for) so that people can find it, read
it and reference it.  You'll use the work of people like Lukas as an example
of how to present your stuff.  You'll ask people to read draft versions, and
improve your presentation based on the feedback you receive.  Then you might
find your stuff starts being used and appreciated.