[squeak-dev] Metacello

Germán Arduino garduino at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 22:55:51 UTC 2009

2009/9/2 Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>:

>> No amount of effort announcing, documenting, and promoting makes any
>> difference. I have made considerable efforts on all three over the past
>> 3 years whereas in contrast Lukas does no announcing, documenting or
>> promoting, yet people use his stuff without a second thought.
>
> Simply not true.  Google Lukas Renggli and you get
>    http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/
>
> Click on the Magritte link and you get overview, installation instructions,
> links to mailing lists, code repositories, instructions on how to report
> errors, a list of publications and a tutorial.
> Google Keith Hodges and Bob the Builder and you get
>
>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/release/2008-October/000036.html
> which, when I read it, presumes I know an awful lot of context I have no
> clue how to create.  There's no overview, there's no pointer to code,
> there's no tutorial, no hand-hlding, juts a description of how you go about
> things once you understand how the whole thing works.  i.e. far too
> demanding for a noob like myself.  I'm simply not smart enough to figure out
> how to use your system form that description.
> Magritte on the other hand looks like it could be worth some of my ever
> shorter in supply time to explore. (As does Pier, Scriptaculous and the rest
> of Lucas's thoughtfully presented projects).

+1

Sorry Keith, I respect your work and the time you invested as the time
and work of any person contributing
with Squeak, but I'm in a similar situation of Eliot, never understood
the whole context of all your tools with
exception of Installer.

As all of us, my free time is very limited, but I try to be acquainted
of all the Squeak news, mainly the tools and
process to build "our" Squeak and think that we need a consensus prior
to adoption of tools and, afaik, I think that
such consensus don't exist yet.