[squeak-dev] Clamato

Avi Bryant avi at dabbledb.com
Sat Sep 5 22:53:40 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Alejandro F.
Reimondo<aleReimondo at smalltalking.net> wrote:

> You claim that Clamato is a Smalltalk... for me, it implies
> that it is an object environment, e.g. it has support
> for at least this features:
> - snapshot (can be primitive) that save the complete
>  environment (or subset) capable to restart without
>  loosing valuable state/information.
> - become (&/or massive become) facility
> - allInstances or an efficient way to iterate instances
>  of a class (species or something equivalent) not known
>  before evaluation time (e.g. can´t predict wich will be the
>  class to change design).
>
> Can you confirm that those features are implemented
> or that can be implemented efficiently?

Clamato runs on top of a Javascript VM, and whether it has those
features or not depends entirely on whether the underlying Javascript
VM does.  For example, I believe that V8 can snapshot.  I don't
believe become: or allInstances are available currently.  If that
makes Clamato "not a Smalltalk", I'm fine with that - consider it a
language/environment inspired by Smalltalk, instead.

Avi