[squeak-dev] DeltaStreams at ESUG in Brest

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Sep 7 18:25:14 UTC 2009

Hi Göran,

Göran Krampe wrote:

>> I didn't have much time to understand the dependencies yet. I just
>> want to say that I want to support DeltaStreams in Cuis.
>
> Yes, that is important for us. It also means we will take care trying
> to make that possible. :)

Great!

>> I need to study a bit SystemEditor and the SystemChangeNotification.
>> Not sure if I'll want to load that code (I really need to check it),
>> but in any case I'm willing to make easonable alternatives to work in
>> Cuis to support DeltaStreams.
>
> As Igor explained SystemChangeNotification is about capturing events.
> If you have alternative ways in Cuis (haven't looked at Cuis yet) it
> is easy to do it differently. The domain model does not know anything
> about events etc, for trunk/3.10 and Pharo that code is in
> DeltaStreams-Logging and I think it works for those flavors. AFAIK it
> was originally written by Roel Wuyts.

I'd forgotten about it, but System-Change Notification is already in
Cuis, and used for ChangeSets, etc.

> The SystemEditor is the mechanism we are using today to *apply* a
> Delta.  It is written originally by Colin Putney for use in MC2 and it
> offers a way to make changes in an atomic fashion. Matthew has fixed
> several issues with it along the way. Personally I find the code in SE
> to be... confusing. But atomicity is of course nice.

Just took a quick look at it. I understand that if you're using MC you
want such a thing. But it is a bit too much to be preloaded in Cuis. I
guess I prefer to leave it as part of MC2 for those who load it.

> We will most likely also need to implement a "regular" applier using
> the same mechanisms that Changeset does today, but that has not yet
> been done. So yes, if SystemEditor does not work in Cuis (or you don't
> want it) then we will need to first write either a Cuis-specific
> applier or write this "regular" applier, and use that one.

Yes. I guess this will be best for Cuis.

> On my blog is the latest instruction on how to get started in trunk:
>
> http://goran.krampe.se/blog/Squeak/hacking-on-deltastreams2.rdoc
>
> Feel free to give us more info on the matters above, eventually we
> will take a look at Cuis but we are still busy getting "stuff to work
> right". :)
>
> regards, Göran

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,