[squeak-dev] Re: How to get a Trunk image

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Sep 7 18:46:53 UTC 2009

Damien Cassou wrote:
> I would like to get the latest development version of Squeak (based on
> the trunk?). Where can I find an image or how can I update an old
> image?

You have three choices:

1) Preloaded (but not fully up-to-date):

    http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/Squeak-3.10.2-trunk.zip

Download it and hit "load code updates". There will be one point where
you have to "merge" due to an MC confusion about class vars order.
Either choice is fine, just continue through it.

2) From 3.10 / 3.10.2:

    http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/Squeak3.10-7159-basic.zip
    http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.zip

Download either one of the above, then:
    - Install *just* MonticelloConfigurations-ar.39.mcz from the trunk
      (this fixes the problems with MCMs)
    - Load or Merge *just* update-ar.3.mcm (the prior two maps
      correspond to 3.10 and 3.10.2 and are there for housekeeping)
    - Execute the following code:
      MethodContext instVarNames at: 2 put: 'closureOrNil'.
    - Choose Help>>"update from server"
This process will take you trough the closure conversion as well.

3) From your own image:

If your image is 3.10-based it should work with the above instructions.
The only situations to keep in mind that can be problematic is if your
image has custom modifications to any of the core packages.

If you have a pre-3.10 image, I'm not sure how well the process will
work but the main issue is then probably in loading the first
update.mcm, so you might try to get yourself in sync with 3.10 first.

Cheers,
   - Andreas