[squeak-dev] DeltaStreams at ESUG in Brest

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 19:10:51 UTC 2009

2009/9/7 Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org>:
> Hi Göran,
>
> Göran Krampe wrote:
>>
>>> I didn't have much time to understand the dependencies yet. I just want
>>> to say that I want to support DeltaStreams in Cuis.
>>
>> Yes, that is important for us. It also means we will take care trying to
>> make that possible. :)
>
> Great!
>

>>> I need to study a bit SystemEditor and the SystemChangeNotification. Not
>>> sure if I'll want to load that code (I really need to check it), but in any
>>> case I'm willing to make easonable alternatives to work in Cuis to support
>>> DeltaStreams.
>>
>> As Igor explained SystemChangeNotification is about capturing events. If
>> you have alternative ways in Cuis (haven't looked at Cuis yet) it is easy to
>> do it differently. The domain model does not know anything about events etc,
>> for trunk/3.10 and Pharo that code is in DeltaStreams-Logging and I think it
>> works for those flavors. AFAIK it was originally written by Roel Wuyts.
>
> I'd forgotten about it, but System-Change Notification is already in Cuis,
> and used for ChangeSets, etc.
>
>> The SystemEditor is the mechanism we are using today to *apply* a Delta.
>>  It is written originally by Colin Putney for use in MC2 and it offers a way
>> to make changes in an atomic fashion. Matthew has fixed several issues with
>> it along the way. Personally I find the code in SE to be... confusing. But
>> atomicity is of course nice.
>
> Just took a quick look at it. I understand that if you're using MC you want
> such a thing. But it is a bit too much to be preloaded in Cuis. I guess I
> prefer to leave it as part of MC2 for those who load it.
>
>> We will most likely also need to implement a "regular" applier using the
>> same mechanisms that Changeset does today, but that has not yet been done.
>> So yes, if SystemEditor does not work in Cuis (or you don't want it) then we
>> will need to first write either a Cuis-specific applier or write this
>> "regular" applier, and use that one.
>
> Yes. I guess this will be best for Cuis.

Okay, then i will avoid using SystemEditor in UI.
The only place where i need it currently is to represent a class
change by printing it as a class definition.

Then , i think, Goran, we should take care implementing
DSClassChange>>asClassDefinition
DSClassChange>>asOldClassDefinition
DSClassChange>>asMetaclassDefinition
DSClassChange>>asOldMetaclassDefinition

to represent the class definition before and after the change.
Other than that, the UI depends only on a toolbuilder (and a bit of morphic ;)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.