[squeak-dev] Re: 3.10.2 Forever ? (was Re: How to get a Trunk image)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Sep 7 23:33:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 01:57:28PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Asked concretely: Is there anyone out there who would continuously
> consume an update stream (for whatever purpose) instead of consuming the
> MC package updates?

Good question. A couple of months ago, I would have said yes for sure. But
the MC update stream is working so well that I would no longer bother with
a change set based update stream. The only thing that I still miss from the
change set stream is the change set preambles, and I suspect that there is
some easy way to produce these automatically from the MC check in comments.

Having said that, there are two useful attributes of change set streams
that may still be of value:

1) They provide a human-readable record of all changes going into the
image, such that future readers can reconstruct the history of contributions
without requiring working tools. This might be important for some future
relicensing exercise for example.

2) A change set stream works well for people with slow computers and
limited network bandwidth, as is still common in many parts of the world.

Dave