[squeak-dev] Re: Mirror primitives [Was The better debugger supportby extending an Object protocol]

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 17:05:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 6:20 AM, Terry Raymond<squeak-craft at cox.net> wrote:
> Instead of implementing #activeProcess as
>
> activeProcess
>    ^activeProcess effectiveProcess ifNil: [activeProcess]
>
> Why not have the effectiveProcess ivar point to the receiver
> unless debugging is in process. Then #activeProcess would be
>
> activeProcess
>        ^activeProcess effectiveProcess
>
> and effectiveProcess would be
>
> effectiveProcess
>        ^effectiveProcess

In the end I put the check in Process>>effectiveProcess.  I don't want
to have to guarantee that effectiveProcess gets assigned on Process
creation.  There isn't an existing Process>>initialize method so I
didn't want to add overhead or tax a ref counting GC etc, etc.  So I
ended up with what you have above except for

effectiveProcess
       ^effectiveProcess ifNil: [self]