[squeak-dev] Why is TestFailure non-resumable?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 20:52:08 UTC 2009

Hi All,
    if I want to run through a complex test that tests a number of
combinations, some of which have failures, its convenient to wrap the test
in an exception handler for TestFailure and run the tests resuming on each
failure.  But I can't because TestFaiure isn't resumable.  Any good reason
why?

e.g. I'm currently testing the generation of a divide/remainder routine for
the x86 where I'm enumerating over many combinations of register quads,
dividend, divisor, quotient, remainder, and I'd like to do the following to
count how many failures I'm getting with each tweak of the register juggling
code:

 | count |
 count := 0.
 [CogIA32CompilerTests new testDivQuoRem]
on: TestResult failure
do: [:ex| count := count + 1. ex resume].
 count