[squeak-dev] facelifting the trunk?

Ronald Spengler ron.spengler at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 04:31:36 UTC 2009

IMH (and undistinguished) O:

End users, once they learn enough about a system, *love* to skin their
favorite apps. It's a creative form of play which is at once technical
and aesthetic.

I feel pretty strongly that there's a powerful generalization
available here: that there should be an architectural separation
between implementation and presentation. This is why I'm in favor of
including Polymorph (or something like it) in a base image, in spite
of a personal leaning toward a minimal base system ala Cuis.

Basically, I think that user interfaces still suck enough that we
should have the best possible tools for the end user to evolve them in
the same way that we have great tools for evolving our underlying
structures and logic.

Simply implementing a "better" look and feel doesn't strike me as the
best approach. It would be much better to find ways to make it easier
for people in the community to make their own aesthetic decisions. I
think that's how we'll get the best look and feel.

But that's just my opinion.

--
Ron