[squeak-dev] Advice on new projects

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Thu Sep 17 18:24:17 UTC 2009

I'm starting some new projects, one on squeak and the other on seaside.
Both use magma, and the latter will probably use the pharo-based images,
since seaside is using that as a development platform.

Is there any namespace or similar mechanism that it would be advisable
to use?

I'm using Monticello, as distributed in the image, for managing the
project.  Is that a sensible choice?  Should I use MC 2? Despite its age
it seems to still be a bit unfinished, certainly with respect to
documentation.

I'm putting my classes in MC type class categories, and prefixing them
with an indentifying code (MI for one, undecided for the other).  This
seems a weak substitute for namespaces, however.

I'm also toying with the idea of using traits.

Thanks for any advice or perspective you can offer.

Ross Boylan