[squeak-dev] Re: VM Crash

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Sep 18 02:54:10 UTC 2009

Martin wrote:
> My Squeak crashed with a "Fatal VM error" pop up that shows me a brief
> description of the crash. I'm trying to identify the possible causes of
> this from the information the pop up displayed but I got a little lost.
> The information shown information about some exception address,
> exception code and a "Primitive Index: 1041". I couldn't find the
> mentioned primitive neither at the VM source code nor at the Squeak
> image calls. Anybody knows how this primitive # is generated? or where
> to look to find it?
>
> The sign also indicated that a "crash.dmp" file would be generated but
> unfortunately did not.

You need to find the crash.dmp. It has all the relevant information,
including a dump of the call stack when the crash happened. Without it
it's virtually impossible to say what was going on; for example I
suspect that you are misremembering primitive 1041 - it simply doesn't
exist.

Cheers,
   - Andreas