[squeak-dev] 3.11.3.2135 for Unix

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Fri Sep 18 16:58:05 UTC 2009

I had some possibly related problems with symlinks (also finding the
sources) under Linux.  This was with pharo-vm-0.15.2d-linux.zip.

Though I ran from a top level directory, squeak seemed
to think it was running in a subdirectory.  The image I ran against was
a symlinked to that subdirectory.

Original setup
proj/sub/x.image
proj/sub/x.changes

Create proj/x.image and proj/x.changes as symlinks to the corresponding
files under sub.
Create proj/SqueakV39.sources as a symlink to the real one.

Invoke squeak from proj/ (squeak executable under proj/sub2/).

This gave me an error that I needed the sources file in the same
directory as my image file.  However, the path it gave was the directory
of the squeak executable.

The cache directory for downloading packages ended up in
proj/sub/cache
and save as saved to proj/sub.
This suggests it may have been looking for sources in proj/sub, where
they weren't, rather than proj/, where they were.

This was with pharo's
http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/23087/pharo1.0-10440-BETAdev09.09.1.zip and http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22745/pharo-vm-0.15.2d-linux.zip.
Both unzipped into subdirectories.  I ran
pharo-vm-0.15.2d-linux/squeak pharo1.0-10418-BETAdev09.08.3.image &

I'm not sure of the ultimate cause of the problems, or the extent to
which it is a vm issue.