[squeak-dev] Facelift in trunk (and more)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Sep 19 06:17:09 UTC 2009

Folks -

After the positive feedback about Facelift and Botox I've taken the
liberty to add those changes to the trunk and consequently bring them
down upon you ;-) The idea here is that you can try them and form an
informed opinion. The main question that you should ask yourself is
whether you feel that the updated look is an improvement over the
previous look. Personally, I'm answering this question with a resounding
"Yes!"; I think we've greatly improved the out of the box experience.

The work is by no means finished. We do need better colors for the
windows; they don't work too well right now. We also need better
performance, the look is *very* slow right now (but fixing that is easy;
I just need to find a spare minute). Help on any or all of these issues
is greatly welcome.

As a consequence of the need for a custom background (the blue gradient
doesn't work at all with the Facelift look), I've also started the first
round of project refactoring, which makes Project an abstract class and
splits MVCProject and MorphicProject so that the base system only needs
to know about projects abstractly, and the concrete project types are
bound to the UI environment they belong to (meaning that unloading MVC
will rid us of any traces of MVC in Project). That had been on my list
for a while already and I finally got a start on it. Help is welcome
here, too, in particular in the areas of moving the responsibilities
around into the proper subclasses and fixing those #isMorphic calls by
vectoring them through Project current instead (see
DisplayScreen>>restore for an example).

All in all, I think that this is reason enough to put an updated image
onto squeak.org. You can download it (with all updates as of today) as:

   http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak3.10.2-Trunk-090919.zip

It has all the changes applied and also a small window listing recent
additions to the trunk image. It's getting quite a collection!

Cheers,
   - Andreas