[SPAM] Re: [squeak-dev] Advice on new projects

Daniel P Zepeda daniel at zepeda.ws
Mon Sep 21 16:42:53 UTC 2009

On Sep 20, 2009, at 7:47 PM, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Ross Boylan <ross at biostat.ucsf.edu>
> wrote:
> I'm starting some new projects, one on squeak and the other on
> seaside.
> Both use magma, and the latter will probably use the pharo-based
> images,
> since seaside is using that as a development platform.
>
> Is there any namespace or similar mechanism that it would be advisable
> to use?
>
> Not really. People usually prefix their class names to avoid naming
> collisions.
>
> I'm developing a namespaces architecture that will run on Squeak. It
> works and I'm writing namespaced code using it, but it is not ready
> for general use. If people are interested, I could concentrate my
> efforts on making it usable, but so far I've seen more disinterest
> than interest.
>
> http://gulik.pbworks.com/Namespaces - including links to an image.

I think this work is important for more wide-spread acceptance of
Squeak Smalltalk and its forks. I know it is only anecdotal evidence,
but one of the first things I missed when starting an actual project
was namespaces. After using languages that have support for
namespaces, using the widely accepted practice of "just prefixing your
classes with a two letter prefix" seems quaint and archaic. While that
practice gets the job done, it's a turn-off to me, and I imagine that
others coming to the language feel the same.

So while you may be getting disinterest from the established
community, again, I think that it would boost the popularity and
acceptance by experienced programmers coming to Smalltalk from other
'namespaced' languages.

DZ