[squeak-dev] [ANN] UGP / SecureSqueak version 0.1 released

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 21:45:41 UTC 2009

Hi all.

I'm announcing version 0.1 of my Unnamed Grand Project, including naïve
versions of SecureSqueak, Subcanvas, SiteBrowser and DPON.

Download from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/securesqueak/
Or watch the video: http://vimeo.com/6698843.

This release "barely works". It is for curious onlookers who want to poke
the code with a stick to see if it moves.

I've only tested this under the Linux VM. I'm not sure if it will run on the
Windows or Mac VMs; it requires that the EventSensor's inputSemaphore is
signalled from the VM. Also, if you're worried about security, this release
opens up a TCP socket and basically runs anything that comes in on it. If
you're worried, disconnect yourself from the Internet first. Later releases
will be more secure.

The Unnamed Grand Project is like a web browser but different. Instead of
downloadable image above does this for three simple "sites", downloading
their implementation and running them locally.

SecureSqueak is a fork of Squeak which provides a sandboxed environment to
run untrusted, remotely loaded code. Later versions will be progressively
more secure.

Subcanvas is a graphics/event-handling framework. It does a similar job to
the EventSensor, Display, Form and BitBlt classes. It provides a secure API
with optimisable implementations.

SiteBrowser is the user interface built on Subcanvas which lets the user
interact with distributed objects.

DPON is an object replication framework. It lets objects move between
images. It can replicate most objects in the image using a number of
replication algorithms, and will also replicate the classes of those objects
and any dependencies.

Unfortunately, PbWiki seems to be down, but when it works again I'll add
more information at http://gulik.pbwiki.com/SecureSqueak and consider
finding another wiki hosting site.

Gulik.

--