[squeak-dev] Test mp4-movies from ESUG, feedback wanted...

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Thu Sep 24 19:41:33 UTC 2009

Hey!

Two testmovies from ESUG:

	http://mimer.msc.se/esug

In short these movies are x264 encoded, mp4 container using 720x576
(original resolution) with some deinterlace/denoise tricks, variable
framerate (same as source), bitrate 1500kbps, two pass encoding, AAC
sound mixed down to mono and resampled to 22.05khz, bitrate 32kbps.

Phew!

How did I create them?

I ended up using Handbreak, first playing with its excellent UI and then
ending up scripting it from the CLI. It seems the two leading
"transcoders" in Linux land are Avidemux and Handbreak. I just happened
to use Handbreak. This is the script for anyone interested:

#!/bin/bash
HandBrakeCLI -i $1.$2 -o $1.mp4 --preset="Normal" -m -I -b 1500 -2 -T -e
x264 -x ref=2:bframes=2:me=umh -E faac -B 32 -R 22.05 --mixdown mono -d
fast --denoise medium

And you use it like: "./hb INPUTFILE MP2" ...which should spit out:

  INPUTFILE.mp4

Regarding all the options above, see this page:

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide

I have not yet started to "batch through" all the files so you typically
have until tomorrow to give me feedback on different options and/or tell
me that the DAMN files don't work! :)

regards, Göran

PS. Later when I put them all up we can "decipher" them together and
write some description on what is on them :)