[squeak-dev] Monticello15 file support?

Hernán Morales Durand hernan.morales at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 05:16:53 UTC 2009

Dear list members,
             As part of a data mining process I need to use many
external files. File based developement is boring and error prone, as
other developers should reproduce the same directory structure to load
my packages in their images, etc. I can use InstanceEncoder but
sometimes I need to view header information in files.

>From this announce
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-December/133031.html
there is a claim of Monticello basic support of external files as
packages although I've tested it without success, that means, the
package was created but it didn't included the contents of any file in
a directory with the same name as the Monticello package.
Is that the intended functionality?
Did I miss some extra setup or step besides hitting the "Save" button?
(I'm using Monticello.impl-mtf.648 and PackageInfo-Base-mtf.70)

And it seems too there's only one image with file support integrated
(the "LPF image" : 090628-1523_Squeak3.10.2-lpf) but I want to use it
in other images, namely Squeak and Pharo.

My options are:
-Ask for feasible alternatives to you.
-Keep mantaining external files without taking advantage of image
based developement.
-Adapt PackageInfo/MCPackage to latest forked Monticellos (I'm not
tempted with this at all, still I see no technical reason why
Monticello was forked so many times...)

There are plans to integrate the external files feature in Squeak or Pharo?
Someone already has something "better"?

Cheers

Hernán