[squeak-dev] How do I use Monticello Configurations?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Sep 30 11:01:19 UTC 2009

On 30.09.2009, at 10:49, Joshua Gargus wrote:

> I've never used Monticello Configurations before, and would like
> some guidance before I screw up the trunk (there's your motivation
> to answer quickly, hah!  :-).  Here are my questions:
>
> I don't feel like adding each package individually, since this seems
> error-prone and is definitely tedious.  Is it safe to add packages
> using match '*'?  This seems a bit dangerous, because I might
> inadvertently add a package that doesn't belong (eg: if I'm also
> working on a package that isn't in trunk/).  Is there a way to start
> from a previous configuration?

Yes. It's *the* way.

>  In other words, can I populate a new configuration using the latest
> versions of all packages in a previous configuration?

Yes. Open the previous configuration (select it in the repo, click
browse). Then update it (click Update / from image).

> Can you specify multiple version of the same package in a single
> configuration?  For example, if I want to load Compiler-jcg.85
> before Compiler-jcg.86, can I add them in that order to a
> Configuration, or do I need to create two Configurations?

I never tried the former, but the latter is the canonical way.

Typically you only need to provide conf maps for the intermediate
steps. After the last explicit configuration is loaded, the updater
proceeds to load the latest version of all packages it can find.

- Bert -