[squeak-dev] Squeak 4.1 release candidate 2

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Apr 7 03:13:35 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 05:12:05PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Folks -
>
> I've prepared rc2 for testing of the 4.1 release on Squeak.org:

> As it stands, we're currently missing updated Unix and Mac VMs (I know
> Ian has been working on it, so I'll ping him and John separately), we
> still don't have all tests green, and there are still a few open issues
> on Mantis [2].

Using a Unix VM at version level 4.0.2-2172 (roughly equivalent to what
I expect Ian to publish), I ran the unit tests in a 4.1 image updated
to 9902. Aside from expected failures, the results are:

- AllocationTest>>testOneGigAllocation passes, but is marked as an
  expected failure and shows up as an "unexpected pass" in the test
  runner. This is due to workarounds in the test to avoid Unix VM
  bugs, which will be corrected after the VMs are updated (but not
  until then because the bugs lead to crashes).

- WeakRegistryTest>>testFinalization failed once when running the
  full test suite, but does not fail when run as an individual test.

- MCChangeNotificationTest>>testCoreMethodModified failed when running
  the full test suite (two out of three times that I tried the full
  suite), but does not fail when run as an individual test.

None of these seem to be show-stopper concerns with respect to the
4.1 release.

Dave