[squeak-dev] Re: Corrupt sources file

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Apr 7 03:17:35 UTC 2010

On 4/6/2010 5:34 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> Without administrator rights (vm in a writeable directory):
> (SourceFiles at: 1) readOnlyCopy next: 100 ==>
> '''From Squeak4.1beta of 5 April 2010 [latest update: #9885] on 4 April
> 2010 at 4:16:30 pm''!
> ely contr'
>
> (Note that the above is correct, but wrong, the timestamp overwrote the
> license.)

Thanks! You will be awarded an extra-special medal for finding this
issue before ship date :-) A couple of comments on how to deal with it:

1) I could just redo the entire sources file for rc3. I would prefer
that because I'd like to have the stamp in the sources file that says
when new changes have been appended.

2) We could just restore the overwritten license header. This would
leave the current sources file (sort of) functioning unless you already
have a copy. I don't really like that too much though.

3) For issues like yours, we could consider verifying the sources file
by adding a verification, i.e., store a check sum in the image and
verify that the sources match the check sum. In fact I've got code to do
that. HOWEVER, it defeats the idea of being able to share the sources
file between versions (the later sources file by necessity would have a
different SHA). Any opinions?

> In all cases the sources file, the changes file and the image was in a
> writeable directory, so this must be some windows trickery.

Most likely. Can you try searching your entire computer for
SqueakV41.sources and see if digs up any "interesting" locations?

Cheers,
   - Andreas