[squeak-dev] Re: SqueakMap soon working in 4.0/4.1!

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 09:50:21 UTC 2010

2010/4/8 Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net>:

>> Beginners suffer most often from too much noise and not enough signal.
>
> Beginners have to understand that the Squeak way is a way of variety; it is
> messy, it is full of strange things, some old, some broken, it's colorfoul
> and lively.
>
> So by trying to help beginners by showing them something ordered and clean
> you actually deserve them, because you cultivate unfounded expectations.
>
> Also, lots of different people with different views of Squeak are there. By
> stating what you know better how things should be, you seem to imply there
> is one clear way to go that everybody agrees on, and so here again you
> deserve beginners if you make them believe that.
>
> Thank you for your interest in beginners, but I don't think they need a
> Savior.

I could second, that many online projects catalogues (sourceforge,
google projects, github) etc,
is plagued by a very same thing: they are full of half-done, broken
and non-working stuff.
But this not twarts users from using them, so why it should twart us
from squeakmap?

I think that any attempt to put an order in this mess is doomed to
fail, because there's no
anybody (and its physically impossible) to keep an eye on every
submission and mark it outdated
or do some quality check. It is up to users to concern about quality
of projects which they publishing, not
squeakmap itself.

Btw, i never used squeakmap to publish my stuff. But i don't see why
it should be forfeit and closed.
Because, in same sense, one might say: hey, i'm using google code, so
lets close sourceforge..

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.