[squeak-dev] Tools for refactoring and 'quality control'

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Fri Apr 9 04:42:29 UTC 2010

On 2010-04-03, at 3:42 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

>>  Can you help me
> remember the overall structure and status of Refactoring Browser?
>> From long-ago history, I seem to remember that RB had its own
> browsers, but now I hear about "Refactoring Engine" and so was that
> the RB domain factored out and made browser independent?  Did you do
> that refactoring work as part of OB, and then use of the Refactoring
> Engine was also picked up by the standard Squeak browsers?
>
> Thanks for your insight.

Lukas Renggli is mostly responsible for the (excellent!) state of refactoring code in Squeak today. The original RB port was factored out into separate browser and engine packages, and the engine was incorporated into OB. Just recently, Lukas made a fresh port of some of the refactoring code from the most recent Refactory release. As far as I know, OB is the only browser for Squeak has supports refactoring - the "Refactoring Browser" package withered and died years ago.

Colin