[squeak-dev] Meeting Report for 4/7/2010

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Apr 9 18:51:10 UTC 2010

http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2010/04/09/meeting-report-for-472010/

As usual these days, everyone was present in the meeting (Andreas, Bert,
Craig, Cris, Jecel, Juan, Randal) with Juan being a little late due to
unforeseen events and a bit of bad luck.

The meeting started with Chris asking for the board to clarify its
position with regards to Pharo compatibility issues. The board agrees
that compatibility is both a concern as well as desirable and that we
should do what we can to avoid superficial incompatibilities. Bert
pointed out that we have some control over it by adding changes done in
Pharo for compatibility in Squeak.

We then discussed the current status of joining the SFC. Bradley had
replied to Jecel’s note and congratulated us on the release and the new
board. Unfortunately, the message got apparently stuck in the spam
filters so most of us hadn’t seen it before the meeting. Our next step
is to get the latest draft from the SFC, review it and then execute it.
There was no progress on consolidating the financial situation since it
depends on the SFC membership.

We then discussed our options and Ken’s comments regarding the board
list rejection policy. After some discussion we agreed that the
desirable solution is to have some sort of recaptcha for verification to
contact the board but since nobody was signing up for implementing it we
decided it is worthwhile to go with a low-tech solution instead and have
all members of Squeak-dev be whitelisted. That way, at least all the
known members of our community have a way of contacting the board
directly. We have contacted Ken regarding this idea and he’s
investigating the options.

We spent a good amount of time discussing the situation of external
packages in Squeak. We agree that the current situation is undesirable
and that hopefully something can be done about this in the 4.2 time
frame but what exactly that means is unclear at this point. Some ideas
have been voiced that need to be discussed more widely (i.e., on
Squeak-dev).

Lastly, Bert and Andreas agreed that they’re going to blow up some crazy
fireworks on July 4th.