[squeak-dev] Pending 4.1 Mantis Bugs

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 21:21:50 UTC 2010

> Which
> one of these stop you from getting work done, make work results inaccessible
> or similar?

Thanks for asking this, because these are the items that have the
"multiplier" effects on community productivity (which I was trying,
clumsily, to allude to in meeting the other day).

> [7472] In sq 9563 copying workspace text across images loses line endings
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7472
>
> This looks like a Linux / Unix bug. I have absolutely no idea what (if
> anything) to do here. Someone please advise.

I sure wish more folks were experiencing this one, merely for sake of
reproducibility for someone who might know to fix it..   :(

So far, the Mantis report indicates only Jerome, myself and laza have
experienced the problem.

Cut and paste text *between* two running Squeak images loses the
line-endings.  Anyone else out there have that problem?

Here is another question:  Can you copy text in a workspace, exit the
image *without* saving it, re-launch it, and paste the text you
copied?  I can't.  It looks like maybe the clipboard is saved with the
image?

There is one more bit of information about cut and paste;

  - the *first* time I copy text to the clipboard while in Squeak, the
computer beeps at me, but not on subsequent copies to the clipboard
during that image session.  I was wondering whether the beep was in
some error-handler or something.  When I paste the "beeped copied"
text, I get a Beep on the paste too.  Paste paste paste = beep beep
beep.

  - However, if I copy text *again*, it does not beep, and nor do
those pastes beep.  Weird!

Cut and paste seems to work pretty well in my other Linux apps, just
not Squeak..   :(

If it's only me and a few others, this isn't a show-stopper for 4.1.
Hopefully the cause will turn up someday..