[squeak-dev] Pending 4.1 Mantis Bugs

Ian Piumarta piumarta at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 22:21:24 UTC 2010

Chris,

On Apr 9, 2010, at 2:21 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

> [7472] In sq 9563 copying workspace text across images loses line
> endings

Do you have a valid locale set in your environment?  Try "export
LC_ALL=C" before starting your images, or maybe "export
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8".

> Here is another question:  Can you copy text in a workspace, exit the
> image *without* saving it, re-launch it, and paste the text you
> copied?  I can't.  It looks like maybe the clipboard is saved with the
> image?

The VM uses the selection mechanism to transfer the clipboard.  When
you exit the VM the selection becomes disowned and X does not know to
ask the VM for the selection when you restart it, even if no other app
has claimed the selection in the meantime.  There are alternative
mechanisms in Gnome, KDE, etc., but lots of people do not run those
environments.

FWIW, I cannot reproduce this between Gedit and squeak on Ubuntu 9.10
-- it works fine for me.  However there might be something in glipper
that makes the selection mechanism play better with Gnome apps; have
you tried installing it?

The beeps were for my benefit many years ago.  They are gone now.

Cheers,
Ian