[squeak-dev] [Help] Launching test pilot images in Ubuntu, preferably with drag and drop.

Ian Piumarta piumarta at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 01:10:08 UTC 2010

Hi Jerome,

On Apr 11, 2010, at 5:43 PM, Jerome Peace wrote:

> First across images cutting and pasting loses line endings.

Fix your locale settings in your .profile or .bashrc or whatever you
use.  Adding

export LC_ALL=C

or

export LC_ALL=en.US_UTF-8

or

export LC_ALL=$LANG

will probably fix it.  Open a new shell and try again.

> Dragging and drooping .jpg and .gif files onto an open squeak window
> raises an MNU from a perplexed nil.

No idea.  The drop&drop plugin hasn't changed in years.  If something
in the image changed to need different plugin behaviour, nobody told
me (or Takashi, who wrote the plugin).

> I have tried opening the squeak.sh script by double clicking on it.

squeak.sh is for running squeak from a menu item.  Applications >
Accessories > Squeak, for example.  It's neither designed to be run
from the command line nor to be clicked on in a file manager.

> First it complained about finding no image. So I put a link to the
> current image in
> myDir/lib/squeak/ where it said it looked.
>
> Second it now offered to install the image. Huh?

It thinks you clicked on a menu item and it's trying to copy an image
from /usr/local/lib/squeak into your home dir so you can write to it.

> By install what does that mean?

Copy.  From /usr/local/lib/squeak to somewhere under your home
directory.

> Would it put the image in the system directories below root?
> Or would it install the image somewhere in my personal folders?

It could do either, or both, if you happen to be root.  But normally
the latter.

> Since it now has enough bits why doesn't it just offer to launch the
> image with the vm as is, installing nothing?

Because it thinks it's running from a menu item that you clicked,
i.e., without any way to pass an argument to the script, and therefore
assumes it has insufficient information about which VM to launch.

> First is there a variation of the shell script that can just launch
> an image?

Yes.  It's called "squeak".  It's probably just above "squeak.sh" in
the same folder.  It assumes you're running from a command line and
will pay attention to everything you tell it.  It'll also fix your
locale if it thinks it's broken, giving you back your line endings.

> Second, what mechanisms are available on Ubuntu to allow me to
> implement a drag and drop feature as I had on my old mac?

For dragging graphics into a running image?  The code is already there
and works perfectly for me in a 3.10.20 #7179 image.

For dragging images onto a VM, that's between you and your desktop
manager.  I've never bothered to figure this out, but I'd be happy to
try in some other, less busy, week.  Some simple addition to squeak or
squeak.sh could be made to look for images in/around its own directory.

HTH.

Cheers,
Ian