[squeak-dev] Retrying a message send

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 18:28:44 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 1:33 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> suppose you having a method:
>
> foo
>  <primitive: ... >
>  self recompileAndRetry
>

> a #recompileAndRetry should do following:
>  1) recompile method #foo and install new version of #foo into class
>  2) restart execution from callee of #foo, so that it will call the
> same method again (but its renewed version)
>

> This is similar to what debugger does, when you changing a method in
> code pane and accepting it, except that it restarting a
> context of called method, instead of restarting from a point where
> caller context did a message send (and so, if a new method contains a
> primitive,
> it will be called by VM).
>
> Any ideas, how i can do (2) easily?

One trick is to return the result of compileAndRetry, e.g.

foo
 <primitive: ... >
 ^self recompileAndRetry

or e.g.

foo
 <primitive: ... error: error>
 (self shouldRecompileAndRetry: error) ifTrue:
      [^self recompileAndRetry].
  self primitiveFailed

you then don't need to worry about munging the stack to get it right.  You
simply answer the result of tail-calling the primitive again at the end of
recompileAndRetry.  That's what VisualWorks does with FFI and user primitive
calls that can fail because they're not yet linked.  Searching for symbols
in libraries and loading libraries is all done with image code invoked from
e.g. ^self externalCallError: errorCode.

HTH
Eliot