[squeak-dev] Releasing 4.1

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Apr 15 05:54:04 UTC 2010

Folks -

Since I haven't seen any dramatic issues with rc4 it's time to dot the
i's and cross the t's and ship 4.1. To do that I've prepared rc5 to
include the following fixes:

* Unix VM 4.0.3.2202 to address libuuid crashes and sound issues.
* Protocols-fbs.29 to restore the buttons in Lexicon
* SMBase-ar.111 to address the SMDependencyTest problem
* System-ar.315 to address the sound CPU utilization issue on Linux

I have two "special" requests this time:

1) Windows Installer. Ian, can you prepare another installer but this
time please do not refer to "release candidate" anywhere in the
installer. The goal for a release candidate is always to ship it as the
product unless a fatal flaw is found, so any names should always refer
to the final product and leave out references to temporary or
intermediate versions.

2) Download location. Ken, can you 'prepare' the ftp location at
http://ftp.squeak.org/4.1 to be a real directory that the 'updates'
account can modify?

If everything checks out as expected, I'd like to simply copy rc5 into
the final directory and send out the release announcement. As usual, rc5
is available at:

   http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/4.1rc5

Cheers,
   - Andreas