[squeak-dev] Border grips for windows

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 20:51:38 UTC 2010

Stéphane,

2010/4/20 Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net>:

>> Ah, I see. Yes, I expected them to stretch along the whole edge. If they
>> were only active in the middle, they should have some mark like on the
>> splitters (though I'd personally prefer if they extended all the way).
>
> I disagree on both points :)

Wow.

> Rationale:
>
> - the middle of an edge is easy to find, no need to mark it (it's ugly for
> my taste).

The key word here is, "find".  In the first place, the computer has
already let down the user by making him do a resize in the first place
(e.g., the computer should size windows accrording to contents of the
data, but that's another story).

So, now that the software has distracted the user from their domain
just because they must dork-around with the widgetry to be able to
view their domain, we're going to make them "find" the center and aim
the mouse right on it?  I suppose the center could be covered by
another window, so I would involve topping another window

I'm sorry, but this doesn't make a lot of sense to me!

> - grips should no stretch along the full edge, because it would make it too
> easy to mistakenly resize the window while attempting to bring it up to
> front from under another window by grabbing one of its edges (am I clear
> here ?).

Well, would it really be that easy?  Let's see..

  1)  you have to click within the 1 (2 or 3, I hope!) pixel line for
the resize.
  2)  you would have to *drag* it for a resize to occur, right?  But
wait, you said this is the case of the user just trying to top the
window, which is just a click, not a drag.
  3)  the "accidental" drag would have to cover a distance
*perpendicular* to the window edge that is being "accidently dragged",
because dragging parallel would not affect the size of the window.
  4)  EVEN IF, 1, 2 and 3 all occurred, what is the penalty to the
user?  That his window is 1 or 2 pixels different in size because he
accidently held the button down a millisecond too long when attempting
to do a "click".
  5)  If that penalty is so bad, then I suppose, by your logic, we
should watch out because the user could still accidently click in the
center of the resize bar resulting in an accidental resize?  Perhaps
an "Are you sure you want to resize" prompt for the user accompanied
by a Beep??
  5)  Center-resizing is inconsistent with every other windowing
system I've ever seen.  Talk about unfriendly to new users!

The alternative is, for every single resize, I have to 1) find the
center (which may be buried by another window), and 2) aim for it,
carefully (a fine-motor gesture!), 3) click and drag it.

Again, I apologize, but I think your reasoning about requiring a
center click has been obliterated!  :)

> Of course, both points should be set by preferences, so everybody is happy !

Umm, yeah, I guess I'm just not so much into masochism. ;-)   We would
need an option to have it stretch the full extent of the window and
that should be the default for new users coming to Squeak...

Regards,
  Chris