[squeak-dev] HelpSystem (was Documentation Team)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 07:53:41 UTC 2010

Regarding markup

I think we should look into the ideas presented by 'markdown'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown
There are a lot of converters in many languages and into many formats.

The idea is to have a markup language which "degrades" nicely when it
is viewed as pure text.

For example you write a documentation snippet in an email, you paste
it into the documentation and it it nicely rendered.

The question is: which 'markup' elements do we need?

- bold
- italic
- code
- headings
- links
- images

And then which is the 'original code'.

Maybe we should go for the wiki syntax used in Pier2.

The help file could be turned into a viewer for a pier document tree.

Hannes