[squeak-dev] Re: Load instructions (Re: The Inbox: Morphic-hjh.424.mcz)

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Thu Apr 22 12:07:21 UTC 2010

Teleplacer wrote:

> I've added instructions on how to load Installer, Omnibrowser
> and Refactory Engine.

How do I get this - I've been dying for an easy way to install the dev tools
(couldn't get them working in 4.1)!?  I got 4.1.1 from
http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/, got all the updates, and checked the inbox
(don't see it there) and got 'unknown selector' for
CodeLoader>>installLastMonticelloFor:

Also, if I wasn't totally confused enough, this did it, lol:
*Installer - the original
*ScriptInstaller - in-house, not really for public consumption
*Monticello - version management
*Monticello 2 - ?
*Metacello - package management, handles dependencies between
projects/files/platforms
*Gopher - loads MC packages 'cleanly.'  Sounds good, but not familiar enough
with 'uncleanly' to know
*CodeLoader - temporary

Did I leave any out?

Btw.  I've really been enjoying Metacello.  It lets the package author
declare which mcz file works with which versions of which platform (i.e.
squeak/pharo/... and Mac/Windows/...).

Example: I just used it to easily fix SSpec after Pharo 1.1 pragma-based
world menu broke it.  Project is now core packages + platform-specific
package that is automatically chosen based on the users environment.

So all the end-user needs to do is load a ConfigurationOfSSpec mcz file,
call load, and it figures out exactly what to install for their environment
- would this not work for our package problems in the long-term?  If not,
what's missing?

Thanks.

Sean