[Esug-list] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Talking to Steve Jobs about Scratch.

stephen at pairhome.net stephen at pairhome.net
Fri Apr 23 11:25:42 UTC 2010

On Apr 23, 2010, at 12:11 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> But AFAIK, there are a long existed measures for it, like signed &
> verified security certificates and so on.
> So, why they not using such systems in a first place, why they
> manually reviewing every app instead?
> As long as content comes from a verified & trusted provider, there is
> no point to enforce the rules like using only C++ or Javascript in
> their product.
> If all content is properly digitally signed, then even in case of
> problems, they will know who is responsible for it, and therefore
> could take a countermeasures.
> But instead, their way of handling the stuff got stuck somewhere in
> the middle of 90's.

I agree with this...they certainly could have pushed the state of the art further in this regard.  They probably chose a less ambitious approach to make sure they could ship something rather than bite off more than they could chew.  In any case I expect better approaches will materialize as competitors catch up with Apple (and maybe Apple themselves will improve as people make their dissatisfaction known and those competitors come up with better solutions).

- Stephen