[Esug-list] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Talking to Steve Jobs about Scratch.

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Fri Apr 23 16:25:56 UTC 2010

stephen at pairhome.net wrote:

> I agree with this...they certainly could have pushed the state of the art further in this regard.  They probably chose a less ambitious approach to make sure they could ship something rather than bite off more than they could chew.  In any case I expect better approaches will materialize as competitors catch up with Apple (and maybe Apple themselves will improve as people make their dissatisfaction known and those competitors come up with better solutions).

Jobs' goal is to "change the world"... that means that everyone has to
learn to use the Cocoa libs directly while programming them using a Mac.

It really IS quite simple, once you understand his mindset:

when Toy Story first came out and he was hailed as the great new
Hollywood billionaire, he interviewed with a major news organization and
all he wanted to talk about was NeXT, which was barely even a software
product by that time.

Lawson