[squeak-dev] CC-licensed artwork?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Apr 25 12:05:19 UTC 2010

On 25.04.2010, at 06:02, Ian Trudel wrote:

> Would Creative Common an acceptable license? Which other licenses
> would be acceptable? (Board members, what do you think?)

Hard to answer, and I wouldn't know whom to ask. SFC maybe? The MIT license makes no restrictions whatsoever. CC means "some rights reserved".

All CC-NC variants are out obviously. CC-ND is impractical, we need to be able to modify stuff. And CC-SA does require sharing - which is not a bad thing in itself, but MIT does not require it.

The only one I could imagine for inclusion in Squeak would be CC-BY, which only requires attribution, but has no further strings attached. But IANAL and every license we add complicates things. It would be better if it was simply given under MIT.

- Bert -