[squeak-dev] Menu Registries

Tim Felgentreff tim at nada1.de
Mon Apr 26 13:31:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 00:28 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> There are now two contenders for customizing the docking bar in the inbox,
> Morphic-kb.428 and Morphic-phite.428.  We should discuss the advantages of
>  either approach in this thread. And I think it would be a good idea to unify
> the docking bar registry and the world menu registry - at least they should
> use a similar mechanism.

I like Philipp's approach to unify the world menu and the bar, however,
as we are starting to use pragmas for preferences as well, we might want
to go into the direction of pragmas for different kinds of configurable
behaviour.
Then again, windowColorSpecs work much like Philipp's approach, too, and
I like
and understand them (not to mention I can easy and fast grep for
'Specification' using Cmd+W).
I would tend to favor Philipp's approach right now, especially as as
adding nested menus seems more straightforward to me. But we might want
to start generalizing configuration and if we use pragmas for that a
newcomer might find it easier to recognize configurations as such.

Just my 2 pieces of eight
-Tim