handling Inbox contributions was: [squeak-dev] The Inbox: Morphic-kb.428.mcz

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Apr 26 17:55:38 UTC 2010

On 26.04.2010, at 19:38, Ken Causey wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 12:14 -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
>> When someone commits to trunk, the e-mail gives the name of the
>> contriibutor.  Would that also be useful for inbox contributions?
>
> Of course but this would happen (and only happen) if the user logged in
> before submitting the contribution.  Right now for perfectly valid
> reasons we don't require logging in wishing the inbox to be as open as
> reasonably possible.
>
> I recently suggested we change this to require logging in since creating
> an account is open to everyone and it seems like a small enough barrier
> to me.  But it is a barrier and therefore worthy of consideration, pros
> versus cons, etc.
>
> Ken

Yes, it's a lot easier to say "when you have a fix, just select the inbox and commit your package", instead of explaining how to register (you need a web browser for that, can't do from within Squeak), then modify the repository definitions to add your user name, but alert them to not fill in the password yet, then commit ... If committing to the inbox would ask your username and allow to create an account right there (and remember it for the next time) then this might be a lot less inconvenient.

Also, squeaksource does not yet support "being logged in" as an access restriction anyway. It's either "everyone can write without logging in" or "only approved developers can write".

Help welcome, the server code we're running is at
http://source.squeak.org/ss.html

- Bert -