[squeak-dev] Menu Registries

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 21:57:47 UTC 2010

The consensus so far is that you can do dynamic menus with the pragma
based approach as well.

Bert, what you call here 'annotation based' is called 'Pragma' in the
code. Which is confusing, see the other thread.

I prefer the registry-based approach.

--Hannes

On 4/26/10, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 26.04.2010, at 20:20, Steve Wessels wrote:
>> That would work splendidly.  In fact, that's lovely because you would
>> create your own "private" registry and then kill it when your code leaves.
>>

>> A blended approach like this covers my concern and I admit I never
>> considered it.  Silly of me.  Thanks for the tip.
>>
>> - Steve
>>
>> On Apr 26, 2010, at 1:12 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Steve Wessels
>>> <steve at squeak.preeminent.org> wrote:
>>> The "Pragma" approach is easier to utilize in code.  However we are
>>> giving up the ability to dynamically change menu contents with that
>>> approach.  Yes, we can modify a menu on install and release of a package,
>>> and that's currently the immediate problem we are trying to solve.  But
>>> if a developer wants the application to change a menu dynamically after
>>> the package is installed, I don't think the coded "pragma" approach will
>>> work.
>>>
>>> In the VW scheme there is the possibility to add an enablement selector
>>> and an indication selector, which between them decide whether an entry is
>>> visible and whether it is enabled.  So there's nothing in the pragma
>>> approach per se that prevents dynamic menus.
>>>
>>> e.g.
>>>
>>> browseVersions
>>> 	<menuItem: #(#Versions #store 'Versions')
>>> 		nameKey: nil
>>> 		enablement: #areConnectedAndSelected
>>> 		indication: nil
>>> 		menu: #(#listMenu)
>>> 		position: 90.01>
>>>
>>> 	DbRegistry doIfOnlineImage:
>>> 		[ self selection notNil
>>> 			ifTrue: [  self spawningBrowserClass browseVersionsOfNamespaceOrClass:
>>> self selection ]
>>> 		]
>>>

>>> I may be the only voice asking for real dfynamic menu management.
>>>
>>> - Steve
>>>

>>> On Apr 26, 2010, at 8:31 AM, Tim Felgentreff <tim at nada1.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 00:28 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> There are now two contenders for customizing the docking bar in the
>>> inbox,
>>> Morphic-kb.428 and Morphic-phite.428.  We should discuss the advantages