[squeak-dev] Re: A little 4.1 press coverage

Ian Trudel ian.trudel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 20:29:42 UTC 2010

Hi Michael,

You have done very well on http://news.squeak.org/ ! This thread is
about reaching a broader audience and especially outside Smalltalk
communities.

Your premise is clear: one will find great news about Squeak __if they
are interested in Squeak development__. This may exclude other
Smalltalk communities and most likely entirely exclude the rest of the
world.

Let's bring an hypothesis forth in such effect that most long time
smalltalkers (5, 10, 20 years) use one dialect and stick to it. There
will be very little compelling reasons for them to switch or
contribute to Squeak. They are unlikely to be our target audience.

People who do not know about Smalltalk nor Squeak are unlikely to land
on The Weekly Squeak website. Not even the Squeak webiste. As we say
here, if people don't come to you, go to them. This is where a press
release for the layman (or in the programming world) with screenshots
and so on should come. Something to be sent to news site all around
the globe. Some reporters will take on the story, some will not, but
it's worth the try.

world before hoping anybody will read The Weekly News or use Squeak.

Ian.

--
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/