[squeak-dev] Re: Menu Registries

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 16:04:18 UTC 2010

On 4/28/10, Brent Pinkney <brent at zamail.co.za> wrote:
> Hi all,+
>
> Could those in the know comment on how this <...> proposal is (or is not)
> consistent with the fundamental Smalltalk principles
> that:
>
> 1. "an object is send a message and responds with an object"
> 2. there is no other "magic" in the system.
>
> Are we proposing a break fromv this ?
YES, actually it has already happened. You like me one week ago were
just not aware of it.

If so, IMO we need to really get it
> right before we commit.

Yes, I agree. And this discussion is on-going. I'm glad you joined.
In the writeup of Andreas

Annotations for Service Discovery
http://squeakingalong.wordpress.com/2010/04/27/annotations-for-service-discovery/

he uses the word 'orthogonal'.

I think it is helpful to think of method annotations of something
'orthogonal' to regular Smalltalk source code. Like CSS is
'orthogonal' to HTML.

--Hannes