[squeak-dev] Re: Menu Registries

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Apr 28 16:57:10 UTC 2010

On 4/28/2010 9:38 AM, Brent Pinkney wrote:
>>> 1. "an object is send a message and responds with an object"
>> It is perfectly consistent with it.
>
> On reading your blog, I think I can grog that: some interrogation message is sent to the class/method and it replies with the
> pragma thing or similar.
>
>>> 2. there is no other "magic" in the system.
>>> Did you make that up? A wise man once said that any sufficiently
>> advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. I don't recall this
>> ever being mentioned as a "fundamental principle" of Smalltalk.
>
> This was not meant to be confrontational, sorry if it came across as such.

It didn't. It's just not clear what constitutes "magic" and I've never
seen it mentioned in relation to defining principles of Smalltalk.
Simplicity, yes, but magic I've never heard. That's why I brought
Clarke's law into it because while something like "thisContext sender
selector" is commonplace for many of us, when I first saw it my jaw
simply dropped. That *was* magic at some point for me.

Cheers,
  - Andreas